I’ve generally not been someone who makes lists. My memory usually serves me well enough and I remember what I’m supposed to remember. However, as I grow older, I find I’m starting to rely on them. My reasoning is that it’s because I’ve needed to remember so many things in my 49 years, there’s not enough room in my brain for more! (Others tell me it’s just a fact of getting older.)
Regardless—I knew I’d need to write down my list to remember those things I am planning to do before I turn 50. Some of you have asked me about my list – wondering if I’ll publish it in total, or if I’ll just reveal things one at a time. I went back and forth on the idea as there are pros & cons to doing so.
One of the “pros” to publishing my list…being held accountable to doing what I have said I’d do. One of the “cons” to publishing my list…being held accountable to doing what I have said I’d do! 😉
So I’ve decided to publish my list. As you can see, as of the date I’m publishing this list (9/24/2015), I don’t quite have 50 items. This will give me the opportunity to add some things I know I wanted to add, but forgot to write down (hmm…see my meaning behind the need to keep a written list!?). I’m also reserving a few spots for “surprise” items. That is, they’ll be a surprise for someone else. So…I don’t want to spill the beans before it happens.
I’ll also come back periodically to mark items as completed.
OK…so, for what it’s worth, here’s the list (in no particular order)…
Journal about the “Year of the List”Read about it here: Journaling Buy a Coloring Book for Adults (and color more)Read about it here: All I need to know I learned in Kindergarten
- Find a new church home
Visit Amy in BeltonRead about it here: Amy – Belton, TX Visit Katy in San AngeloRead about it here: 5, 6, 7, and 13: They all add up… Stay in a Bed & BreakfastRead about it here: 5, 6, 7, and 13: They all add up… See a playRead about it here: 5, 6, 7, and 13: They all add up… Go to a concertRead about it here: A concert at the Opry… Take Tai Chi lessonsRead about it here: Tai Chi Happiness!
- Set a schedule for going to the gym
- Lose weight (OK…I’ll split this into two; see item below) …I’m not going to cross this off, yet, but you can read my progress here: On My Weigh! and Half Weigh There!
Focus on Health & Wellness (choose an “eating plan” to lose weight!)Read about it here: “D-I-E-T” is a four letter word! Visit Canyon, TX (Palo Duro Canyon State Park)Read about it here: 5, 6, 7, and 13: They all add up…
- Go to the Coast
Visit the South Pacific War Museum in Fredericksburg, TXRead about it here: South Pacific War Museum
- Visit the “grassy knoll” (and related locations) in Dallas, TX
- Tour the Houston Space Center
- Go to Big Bend, TX
- Do a poetry-related event Read about it here: For Immediate Release!
- Publish my “100 Days of Summer” poetry book
Renew my passportRead about it here: My Passport To……? Start saving for a “big trip” (Europe??)Read about it here: A Penny Saved…
- Ride a horse
- Take a cooking class
- Take Professional Development classes
- Go to a Balloon Festival Update: Read about it here: Up, Up and Away!
- Visit Lost Maples State Nature Area to see the Autumn foliage
Go on a trip with MomRead about it here: Planes, Trains and Automobiles Paint moreRead about it here: Painting With A Twist Read moreRead about it here: With this page, I thee read… Buy myself flowers for my desk at workRead about it here: Bloom Where You’re (sup)Planted.
Go for a facialRead about it here: Time Out!
- Visit the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center
Go to a Strawberry FestivalRead about it here: Did somebody say STRAWBERRIES!?
- Go to Lake LBJ
- Organize “stuff” to give away or sell – PART 1. (This should really be more than one item as I have broken it into “stages/steps”, so I’m listing it 4 times.)
- Organize “stuff” to give away or sell – PART 2
- Organize “stuff” to give away or sell – PART 3
- Organize “stuff” to give away or sell – PART 4
- Surprise #1
- Surprise #2
I’m open to suggestions…and company if you want to join me on any of the above! Drop me a note by email/text, or leave a note in the reply box below. And let me know if you’re making your OWN list for the coming year. 🙂